Friday, February 8, 2013

How you know your kid is a genius.

I know all of us think our kids are smart. In fact, most of the time we think our child is the smartest. Never mind that she enjoys rolling in the mud or farting at the dinner table, she has some kind of inner intelligence other kids don't have. She has that, as the French say,  "I don't know what".  Everyone believes their kid can draw better, run faster, read better and speak more fluently than the next. 

We all hear parents trying ever so hard to be humble but coming out with statements to articulate how different their children are from others like:  "My daugther is so self-aware."  Right, cause she has a tendency to scream "jesus the christ give me what I want " when you go to the drug store? I have heard other parents say things like:  "My child has an excellent capacity for non-conflict resolution with her peers and it is remarkable to see this in a one year old." Yeah, drooling in the corner with a playmobil, definitely a candidate for UN peace keeping missions. 

But how do you really know when your child is a genius?  No parent can really be objective so how do find the lens with which you can see your child for what they are? 

I'll tell you how:  let them play with their food to see what they come up with. 

Below is some food art made by my two year old.  He even used salmon and beet root! 



1 comment: